Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

February 21, 2010

The Cabbage Test... Week 10!

Well, our embryo has officially graduated to fetus status. :) We are starting week 10! I am feeling pretty good, although food is sometimes my worst enemy! I am really not sick, so I shouldn't complain, but I do have a new best friend- TUMS. Yes, the heartburn has set in, pretty much any time I eat. I am thankful that Tums are on the "allowable" list, or I wouldn't know what to do!

My midsection is definitely getting thicker, and I put on about a pound this week! Here's the bump pic- doesn't look too much different than last week...

I bought a bella band this week-- a midsection tube type half-shirt that basically holds your pre-pregnancy pants up while you wear them unbuttoned or unzipped. I hope if I wear it to work, nobody notices it! Or knows what is it! I also got to hear our baby's heartbeat at home last night. I got a doppler online for $40 and it has the LCD screen that measures the heart rate, too. Since I'd seen the baby on Friday, I thought I would try it. I listened to my own heart and got the rate on the screen, and it took about 5 minutes to find the baby's. But once I did, it was such a wonderful sound! It does sound like a horse galloping, and it twice as fast as my own. It registered at 150bpm. Such a sweet, reassuring sound! I am hoping we can get Bryan to hear it on skype this week! It has headphones not a speaker, so I will see if I can hold the earphone to the microphone on the computer! :)

I have seen so many of the old wives tales that predict the gender before it's been confirmed, so I was reading about them last week. I know God only knows what it is, but it's fun to guess! One that I'd never heard of before is the "cabbage test". You buy a red cabbage, chop half of it up and boil it in water for 10 minutes, then you cool the water. The cabbage turns the water dark blue. The next step is to get a urine specimen and combine equal parts of the cabbage water and pee-pee! It supposedly measures the pH in your urine, and can tell if you're carrying a boy or girl. If the water turns from blue to red/pink, then you're supposedly having a boy (backwards, eh?) and if it turns purple, you're having a girl. Well, I decided since cabbages are cheap I would have a little fun and try this out. So, here are my results:

Blue cabbage water- before



PURPLE=GIRL!!!


Results, Left- Cabbage Water, Right

So... here's what the old wives tales say so far:
Chinese Gender Chart: Boy
Cabbage Test: Girl
Pencil Test: Girl (pencil on a thread over mother's wrist, the way it swings tells you boy or girl)

I have no inkling yet and absolutely no preference!!! As everyone says, as long as its healthy! :) We hope to have another u/s when Bryan gets back, but we won't know the gender for another 5-6 weeks. Until then, your guess is as good as mine!

Jill

PS- I have a really crazy busy week at work coming up, so any extra prayers would be very much appreciated!!! Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. All those little tests are pretty interesting. We know one of them is gonna be right. Every time I read these it really makes me smile. Keep it up. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun little test... I've NEVER heard of this one before. Hmm, boy or girl? As much as I love little boys (and want only boys myself)... I'm kinda leaning towards you guys having a girl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your little fetus and week 10! Wow, heartburn has set in early for you. Cute belly bump there! The bella band is ok, but the belly belt is awesome, you might want to look into that. It lets you extend your non-maternity pants, it has a button hole on one side and a button on the other. There's a pic of it on my blog. Listening to the HB is so much fun isn't it! You'll find you won't listen to it near as much once you feel consistent movement. Very interesting cabbage test! Hmmm, boy or girl?? I'm guessing girl. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are just to funny!! But I am going with the cabbage test - although I have never heard of it before - a girl is so nice!!!

    ReplyDelete