Colton is finally getting back to normal health-wise. He had a cold that lasted for a while, with a runny nose, which led to congestion, and then his voice got raspy, which turned into a cough, and he was rattly when laying down... He never ran a fever, and although he couldn't breathe as well as normal, he still ate well and wasn't too crabby. I'm thankful he's getting better, and am praying against any other colds! We've been around a few more people lately (after having been snowed in for a few weeks!) and unfortunately several have gotten ill, so say a prayer that we won't catch it! I'm keeping him out of the church nursery (which is just as much for me as for him!) and am trying to maintain our good handwashing practices around here, too. Winter can be a nasty thing, in more ways than one!
We weighed Colton on Saturday the 12th, his official 5 month birthday. He weighs about 15.5 pounds. I haven't pinned him down or stood him against the wall to measure him lengthwise yet-- I need to do that when I've got some help. :0) I'm assuming he's probably around 26" or so. His next doctor visit is at 6 months. No teeth have erupted, although the drooling is incessant! He goes through 3-4 bibs per day at a minimum... And EVERYTHING still goes into the mouth. He's a drool box for sure.
We've had a few firsts since the last post... Colton got to experience his first blizzard! Not only that, but he felt snow for the first time the other day. We had an unusually warm Sunday-- in the low 60s-- so we walked around the neighborhood. There were mountainous drifts of snow in all the yards, so we got a clean scoop and let him feel it. He was intrigued, and didn't seem a bit bothered by the cold! I guess he's used to having cold, wet hands, since they are always in his mouth.
On Valentine's Day, Colton decided to do a trick and flipped from his back to his tummy! He's been rolling over from tummy to back for a couple of months, but this was a first. We'd been practicing the maneuver and he was very close-- he would raise his legs up, then turn on his side and try to turn, just didn't know what to do with those arms! We put toys up and out of his reach so he will look for them and arches his back, making it easier to roll over. He finally did it!A He wasn't reaching for anything in particular, but did succeed in getting one arm stuck underneath in the process. I'm sure it's only a matter of (short) time before he's rolling all over the place... Which means Momma better invest in some baby gates soon! :0)
Colton is also learning to sit by himself. He does the "tripod", where he leans over in between his own legs, and crouches there to play with a toy or to suck on his feet, before toppling over. He will sit more upright by his play mat, to reach for toys, but doesn't realize he'll fall when he leans back. He's not a huge fan of the Bumbo seat, and will sit in it for short periods of time, but then gets frustrated that he can't lean over, and arches his back to try and get out. Needless to say, it's used with close supervision. :0) This boy does seem to have some strong abs and core. No more bobble head! He does LOVE to be carried in the front carrier, and likes to do activities around the house in the Baby Bjorn with Momma. He really likes to stand in your lap, in the jumperoo, or on the floor--he's a bouncy little boy! Seems like he's constantly moving... He does sit on my hip now, being supported with just an arm, as opposed to the baby/cradle hold which he doesn't like unless he's sleepy.
Speaking of sleep, we are beginning to make strides again in this area. (Hoping I don't jinx myself.) He regressed quite a bit while he was sick, and even had a few bad nap days last week, but overall he is doing better. He's still a catnapper, but is on a schedule and takes four 30-45 minute naps in his crib (or in his carseat if we're out and about) every day. He does like to be rocked to sleep for his naps, so we are going to have to work on this. Since I'm a stay at home mom, I'm just trying to enjoy it for now, as I know he won't let me rock him forever! He's consistently going to bed at 7:30pm, and I wake him up to eat (if he doesn't wake up on his own) at 10:30-11pm before I go to bed. Several nights recently, he's only gotten up once to eat, around 3-3:30am. Then he is up around 5-6am but will usually nurse and go back to sleep until 6:30 or 7am. So, I'm not a zombie, but am still looking forward to those illusive 6 hour stretches. For now, 4-4.5 will do just fine. He's eating every 3-4 hours during the day, as well, and we'll start some solids in about a month.
Colton got to experience his first shower a few weeks ago! We're talking the wet, soapy kind. Daddy gave him a little scrub down and he seemed to like it! He LOVES bath time, and so the shower was a new and fun experience for him. He's a slippery little booger when wet, so I was a little nervous with our big tile shower, but Daddy did well. I will be handling the slippery-when-wet little guy at swim lessons in a few weeks! I signed us up for Baby Aquatics at Springfield Gymnastics and Aquatic Center. We will go once a week for 8 weeks and get introduced to the pool and swimming. I'm pretty excited to start the class and hope that he will like it just as much as bath time. I know we'll be spending a lot of time at the pool this summer, and got passes for White Water, so this little guy will hopefully be a fish. :0)
Colton will be experiencing another first in a few weeks-- his first plane ride! We are taking a short trip to Florida March 5-8, where Bryan will be taking his Crossfit certification test. He went to a class in St. Louis, and unfortunately missed passing the test by 1 measly point... so he has to retake the test, and they aren't offering another chance to do that in Missouri for months. So we're making a mini-vacation out of it. We'll fly from Branson to Ft. Lauderdale, and will stay 2 nights in West Palm Beach, and one night in Ft. L. We're looking forward to the sand, surf, sun and experiencing several firsts with the baby. It will be a nice getaway. Oh, and say a prayer that Bryan passes his test on Sunday, March 6. Thanks!
We had a nice baby shower last weekend for my niece Shilah's impending arrival... Colton got to attend and was oohed and aahed over by many! We are so looking forward to having another little one around-- and baby girl clothes are so stinkin' cute! Before we know it, these two will be running around tormenting each other! No really-- maybe they'll be the best of friends.
Well, onto what everyone loves--the photo gallery... Here are a few shots from the past 3 weeks.
20 weeks and HAPPY!!!
21 weeks-- Superbowl Sunday
I've almost got this sitting thing down!
Well, that about covers it for now... Until next time, here's to more sleeping, sitting and rolling over!
Love to all.


Hey Jilly-Jill! Sorry I'm behind on your blog. Working full time and a baby that still nurses 2-3 times in the middle of the night makes for a very tired gal who's behind on everything.
ReplyDeleteSounds like Colton is following right along in Tyler's foot steps. He is such a cutie! We must do a Skype play date soon!
Love ya!
Jill