Colton is now 8 weeks and 4 days. He is growing like a weed! At his 8 week check up today, he weighed 11 pounds 15 ounces, and is 23.5 inches long! He’s in the 60th%. Big boy! We joke that Momma has “muscle milk”. He eats enough that he better be growing!!
We are getting along alright with Daddy being away. We have been able to talk to him via Skype and I can tell Colton recognizes his voice over the computer. He looks towards the computer screen and just stares while Bryan talks to him. Bryan has commented how big he is getting already! He’s getting fat rolls on his legs and who can miss those cheeks!? The time has been plugging along… Bryan is doing well and we’re about halfway through this trip. Daddy will be home in about 34 days. :0) I’m sure Colton will be sooo different than when he left, but fortunately he won’t miss seeing the changes…. I’m snapping a lot of pics for him!!
Colton is sleeping between 3-4 hours at a time at night, and takes between 1-3 hour naps during the day. He is usually awake for an hour to hour and a half during the day, before needing a nap. He is generally a really happy baby, and is pretty content. He likes his swing and takes a nap in it daily. He isn’t always as fond of his carseat, but seems to be doing better there, too. We have used the cd that came with the Happiest Baby on the Block dvd—he likes the hairdryer track a lot!
The past few weeks have come with some firsts… I forgot to mention in the last post, he rolled over while he was in his co-sleeper at 5.5 weeks old. He was on his tummy and flipped right over to his back. I think it was just a fluke then, as he hadn’t done it again—until today! I put him on his play mat and he was enjoying looking at the hanging toys and talking to them… Then I put him on his tummy for some tummy time, and he rolled right back over to his back! Still probably a fluke, but I know he’ll be doing it for real and consistently soon.
Colton discovered that he has a tongue at 6 weeks 3 days. It was like all of a sudden, he was sticking it out, smacking his mouth and rolling it all around… He’s now drooling quite a bit, too. He smiles a lot more frequently, and they are meaningful smiles—when he sees Momma or another family member he knows… He smiles at his toys, too. He is cooing, squealing and talking—I am just waiting for the first giggle. With all the noise that comes out of that little guy, the giggles are sure to come soon.
We took our first road trip with Colton this past weekend. We went with Grammy and Papa to Nebraska. Papa was going to Lincoln for drill, so we rode along and went with Grammy to Hastings. We stayed with my Nanaw, who Colton really took to. He gave her lots of smiles and coos! We arrived Thursday night, and enjoyed some Amigos (my favorite fast food Mexican). I was able to visit one of my girlfriends from high school on Friday morning for about an hour and a half. She is an amazing woman (my age) with 6 kids! We visited and took some pics—thank goodness for the timer on my camera. :0) It was really nice to catch up.
Afterward, Mom, Nanaw and I went to Kearney to meet up with Aunt Bert. We met for lunch at Hunan’s. Colton was fighting sleep at that point and was a bit fussy. We determined after the weekend that he knows, even in a dead sleep, when Momma sits down to eat. Then he wakes up and cries! We went to Aunt Bert’s house afterward to see her bedroom remodel—it looks great!! New everything and it turned out so well. We visited for a bit and then did a little shopping before heading back to Hastings. We spent the evening at home and took a few things over to the community room where we were having a family get-together on Saturday. Got in a few games of Scrabble, too.
Saturday, we had a leisurely morning and then headed to the community room for our family get-together. We invited the cousins and aunts to come over for cookies and punch, to visit and see Colton. It was a great time, and we had 20 people at the little party. I hadn’t seen several of them in over 4 years at my cousin’s wedding! My aunt, ,Nanaw and mom put on quite a spread with fall decor, cookies, m&ms, nuts & candy corn, punch and coffee. It was great. We caught part of the Nebraska game, too, at Nanaw's. Colton really liked Scott, my cousin. He was smiling and talking to him... So cute!
We went out for dinner afterward with my aunt, uncle and cousin and his wife, Nanaw and Grammy. Then Mom and I took Colton to meet a few of her friends who we used to go to church with for dessert. They enjoyed seeing us and meeting Colton. It was nice to catch up. Before we headed back to Nanaw’s, we went to our former church to see their new worship center. It is so nice! I was really impressed.
I think Colton picked up his first cold during our travels… He has been rattling, coughing, and is congested. I can tell he’s not quite up to par—he’s been in a decent mood during the day, but has been sleeping more and eating less often. He’s been fussy during the night, since he gets choked up from drainage—poor boy! He’s not running a fever, thankfully. Hoping it passes quickly. We’re taking it easy in the meantime and got some drops at the doc to break up the congestion and help with the sneezing, coughing and watery eyes.
I officially became a SAHM! I informed my bosses on October 15th that we’d decided that I would stay home. They were both very gracious and said they completely understood, but were sad to see me go! It still kind of seems like I’m just on maternity leave… But this is my new normal! I have to say, I’m really enjoying it! I can’t even imagine having to get up and get myself ready, along with Colton and get him to a babysitter every morning before work. I feel very fortunate to be able to stay home with him. I’ve waited a long time for this experience, and am soaking up every minute. I am so thankful for our little guy and to be blessed to stay home with him. I do miss my coworkers, and am hoping to do some work with Convoy from home in the future. I know we’ll make frequent trips up to see everyone! We’re due for a visit soon…
As for me, I’m feeling pretty “back to normal”. I’m not losing much weight anymore, but am not focusing on that either. I need to get into some kind of exercise routine at home. I’ve been walking a few times, but the weather is going to be getting colder, so that will cease! I am looking forward to getting into a MOPS group, or going to some mommy/baby get togethers. I know Colton will enjoy the socialization in the next few months—when he’s awake longer than an hour at a time. :0) I’m blessed to have my mom and sisters close and we get together pretty frequently. We also get to see Grandma and Grandpa every week or so.
Colton and I are looking forward to having the big kids again this weekend. They are going to see a movie with their cousins, and are going to a football game with Grandma and Grandpa. I hope to get some good pics, too, before all the fall leaves are gone.
Well, that’s about all for now. I’m sure I’m forgetting something, but hey—that’s the life of a mommy, right??
Here are some various pics from the past 2 weeks.
PS- Congrats to my sister Joy and Roger on their little GIRL!! She's due in March... And congrats to my cousin Scott and Crystal who just found out they are expecting in June!!! Babies, babies everywhere!!






He is getting so big! Love the smiles...what a cutie! Glad to hear your trip went well and you are suviving single mommyhood until Bryan returns. Soon you will be celebrating Colton's first turkey day!!
ReplyDeleteHugs,
Linsay
OMGosh life is so busy working a full time job and having a new little one! Sorry I'm so late commenting on your post. That is awesome that you get to be a sahm, I'm so jealous! Love the update, they always take me back through memory lane. I constantly find myself saying, awwww, Tyler used to do that! I had to chuckle at the part about Colton knowing when you're about to eat because Tyler does the same exact thing! Every single time I attempt to eat, he wakes up and decides that he must eat first. I can't remember the last time I ate a warm dinner! LOL
ReplyDeleteSo are you going nuts buying Christmas presents for your little guy like I am? I can't stop buying for him!
Give your adorable little man a hug for me!
Love ya!
Jill