We are getting into a routine-- which isn't difficult when there are basically three things we do: nurse the baby, baby sleeps and change the baby's diaper!! Colton is sleeping 1-3 hours at a time for the most part. Occasionally he will sleep 4 hours at night, but for the most part, he sticks to the 1-3. I think his tummy wakes him up more often than not! Seems like he eats all the time! I will look at my handy-dandy timer to see when he last ate, and am usually surprised when I see it's been 1 1/2 to 2 hours already. I suppose that will be the life for the next few months... Which is fine-- I know it will fly by!
Colton had his one month check up on Monday. He weighed 8 lbs 14 oz and was 22 inches! That's about 2 1/2 pounds up from his birth weight and an inch in length from his weight check at 5 days! Apparently we are doing something right with this whole breastfeeding thing. :0) The doc looked him over and said everything was great. We talked about Colton's gasiness, which seems to be the only issue we're dealing with...He didn't think that Colton has classic colic, since he's not fussy every night, or even at the same time every day... He's not even fussy every day, but he does have a lot of gas!! You can tell when he's cramping up by his facial expressions, his body gets rigid and he grunts and cries out. It's pitiful to watch, and I wish there was something we could do to fix it! The doc suggested giving him a bath or taking a shower with him, or continuing with the things we have been doing... I had read a lot of info on my milk supply, different methods of feeding to reduce the amount of air he swallows, etc. We have implemented several things which seem to help some. He didn't think that my diet was really affecting Colton's tummy, which wasn't surprising to me. He also gave us the go-ahead to try a homeopathic remedy Bryan ordered last week called ColicCalm. It is an all natural liquid that is supposed to dissipate gas bubbles. We have tried it twice this week and can't tell if it makes a difference or not. We were hoping for some magic cure, but alas... no such luck. Hopefully Colton's tummy issues resolve themselves in the next few weeks or months as his system adjusts and matures.
Colton has started to find his voice in the past week. He will occasionally coo, squawk, and gurgle-- it's so cute!! He makes so many funny faces, both when he's sleeping and awake. It's really fun watching him take in his surroundings. He stares at the pictures hanging above our couch (which is where I usually sit to nurse him). He also looks all around when he's on his changing pad in the living room. He is usually content to lay there and look around a few minutes at diaper changing time. He has smiled at us a few times-- intentionally that is. He smiles A LOT in his sleep, I'm just waiting for the smiles to be more regular and on cue! :0)
I am doing well... I have my 6 week check up next week, and am anxious to take Colton into the office to show him off to the nurses who took good care of me for 9 months! I've got about 17 pounds to lose still, but am not really doing much yet to help the weight loss! Seems like getting 3 square meals is a thing of the past! I've been walking once or twice a week. I think when Colton is on a little more regular schedule (or when his nursing sessions are a little further apart) I will try to make it to the community center, or outside to walk more frequently. I joked while pregnant that while it was so hot and I was 9 months pregnant in the hottest month of the year, that at least I got to hide my post-pregnancy body with fluffy sweaters and jeans all winter! I have several months til bathing suit season rolls back around!!
We had fun introducing Colton to Aunt Bert and Nanaw last weekend. They thought he was just as sweet as could be. We enjoyed shopping and several meals out together. We compared some baby pics and they also agreed-- Colton looks a lot like Daddy!! Our next guest is coming next week-- Auntie Lori is coming from Minneapolis on Wednesday! We can't wait!!
Here are a few pics from the past 2 weeks. As you can see, Colton is losing a little hair on top-- he's losing a little bit in the back but still seems to have quite a more hair around the sides and back than on top. He is also getting a little dry skin on his face... But, he's still as adorable as ever!!!

Love to all.
Did I not tell you how crazy fast time flies! I can't believe Ty is going to be 4 months! Sounds like Colton is growing like a weed! You will be shocked at how fast they grow! Isn't the coos the most precious thing ever! I think that has got to be one of the best milestones ever. Smiles and giggles are awesome as well.
ReplyDeleteYep, 3 square meals is a challenge, I still don't eat well.
Reading your updates brings back so many memories. Sounds like Colton is following the same things Ty did on most things.
Love all the pics! He is such a cutie patootie!!!! Love the last one!
Love Jill